Saturday, November 6, 2010

Finals days in Cartagena

It has been raining every day for the last two weeks, sometimes for six hours each day. When it rains, it pours, and the streets turn into little rivers.

I spent the morning on a self-guided tour--in the pouring rain!--of El Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas. It is billed as the strongest fortress ever built by the Spanish in any of their colonies, and sits on top of a hill overlooking the city. Later in the afternoon, the sun came out for a brief and glorious moments and I was able to take a few more pictures before the downpour started again.

The rain has altered my plan of following the Caribbean coast up to the Guajira Peninsula and heading down south to Barrichara. But I will definitely be back here. I have been so impressed by the beauty of the country and the Colombian people, who are some of the warmest, friendliest, and most welcoming people I have ever met. Traveling here is safe and easy, and there is just so much to see. A future trip is already in the works, this time with Daniel in tow.

















No comments:

Post a Comment